View: 152|Reply: 21

First batch, all extract... failed horribly

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-24 03:14:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
Well, I just poured out all of the bottles of my first attempt into homebrewing. I sampled some periodically over the 5 weeks they sat in bottles... so it was about 38 bottles. It felt like such a waste, but it was a botched batch. It was a Cooper's IPA extract kit with dry yeast and some dry malt extract. The beer tasted so awful it is hard to pin-point any certain thing as to its failure. Here are some "highlights"
1-) I dont think the wort was really boiling that much throughout the brew. More like a mild simmer. This is something I regulated in my next batch.
2-) When I re-hydrated the yeast I used one of those clear plastic 3 cup measuring cups. It was cracked throughout as it has been used for all kinds of baking. Also, rather than boiling the water, I simply put it in the microwave for 1 minute. I used a slap pack for my next batch and bought a 6 cup glass pyrex measuring cup that will only be used for brewing.
3-) It took me about 2 hours to cool the wort down. I kept it uncovered in the house, outside... various places trying to cool it as I stirred it.
4-) Fermentation was done at a temperature that was WAY too high and finished in about 3 days.
5-) I boiled the priming sugar in a pan that is used for all kinds of cooking. Probably not a good idea.
There were some other things I fouled up too... but I should have read "How To Brew" and this forum before brewing, not after. After waiting 5 weeks in the bottle, I am certain the off flavors will not condition out much more. lol My next batch is almost ready to be bottled and I am confident it will taste much, much better. Also given the fact that it is a partial mash with REAL hops.Primary -
Secondary:
Kegged: Gangnam Style IIPA, Kentucky Breakfast Stout Clone, Oak Aged Robut Porter, Your mom
Upcoming Brew Schedule: Winter Warmer, Cider, APA

stuiudhpfo5.gif

stuiudhpfo5.gif

PFC, BN Army

author posts Hot post

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-24 03:52:00 | Show all posts
someone I met did the IPA kit from coopers. for one we met this guy at a homebrew club meeting, second , several of us helped him through the process. Last after a few weeks the beer was no hop bomb that he was expecting but it wasnt bad at all. He's not an avid brewer but it does make a diffrence to have someone help you along.sitting in the corner
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
 Author| Post time 2007-11-24 04:01:00 | Show all posts

I am sure it is all in my error.

cfza3sncx23.gif

cfza3sncx23.gif

Primary -
Secondary:
Kegged: Gangnam Style IIPA, Kentucky Breakfast Stout Clone, Oak Aged Robut Porter, Your mom

PFC, BN Army

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-24 05:13:00 | Show all posts
If I was you I'd hold a few bottles back for shits and giggles. Time can do amazing things."I encompass, and I eclipse..."

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
 Author| Post time 2007-11-24 06:06:00 | Show all posts

I have 3. 1 of them is for Brichards700 over christmas break. I am plotting to tell him it is something amazing first to throw him off.Primary -
Secondary:

PFC, BN Army

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-24 11:51:00 | Show all posts
I know Ive seen you in the fourm during the Jamil show.. for shame.
Id save a few, I have a bottle of a brown ale I did that got infected(popcorn diacetyl)  and I also have a xmas ale that I added too much ginger . I keep em to remind myself to clean and to not go overboard with spices.sitting in the corner

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-25 05:27:00 | Show all posts
Give it to Justin, he'll drink anything.  

uzumorgq3uv.gif

uzumorgq3uv.gif

keep on trying. The more you read and the more you brew, the better you'll get.
Do you have any clubs in your area? hooking up with a club, or a LHBS can be a great resource...maybe you can find someone in your area that you can co brew with.Stop staring at my big beautiful BOOBS!!!!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-25 05:27:53 | Show all posts
NoRemorse-
The offer's always open if you feel like brewing, I'm gonna finally be brewing next Saturday.  You are more than welcome to come by and join me if you want to.
Also, the Impaling Alers meet on the 3rd Friday of every month at Larry's in Kent.  If you haven't been there, it's straight up 167 to 212th St.  Look for the building with the big red awning on your left.   I went to their last meeting, and that's also where I took my BJCP classes (and the exam).  They are a great bunch of guys and very knowledgeable, and always willing to help.  
HTH--B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat.  It's an acquired taste....."  -- MyloNoremorse, my experience:
FYI, I'm on my fifth batch.
My first 5 gallons was with a Cooper's "Lager" kit.  I was as careful with it as a first-time brewer can be, then fermented it like this:
75F
oh, but it's a lager
55F
But it's ale yeast!
70F
Maybe I should just keep it cooler and let it work
66F
Up and down all over.  I let it condition for an excruciating 2.5 weeks (I need beer dammit, what's all this waiting about!) I bottled and waited another hard two weeks.
Tasted: it's beer, and that's about it.  Slick, buttery mouthfeel.  No off flavours really, but no flavour at all...very...blah.  Success, but that's about it.
My friends like it, but what do they know?!
Since I have made one failed batch (didn't ferment) and two awesome batches, based on high-gravity liquid wort kits.  I have a homemade porter in the primary now that is uninspiriring, but my very own recipe.  So success!
To the point.  I'll never make the Coopers kit again, but it wasn't swill.  I was like Justin was in the "Honesty and All Grain" show...dammit, I want this to be great beer, every time!  I'm smart and I know what to do!  Well, you'll have ups and downs, and every down is a learning experience.  It's just a month of time and hours of effort.
Sorry you poured it out, hope you're next is enjoyable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-25 11:10:00 | Show all posts
Hey, you may not like what it turned out to be, but you did make beer! If you were like me on my first batch, you probably had Papazian's book in one hand, a long list of "to dos" in the other, and a big metal spoon held by your right foot. Seriously, your first batch sounds like you learned a hell of a lot, and it's all about becoming comfortable with the process at this stage. After a few brews, you won't even think twice about 90% of the steps you need to go through.
My advice is to just do the obvious- keep reading, keep brewing, and take BDawg up on his offer. Keep going, man. My second batch was on a totally different level than my first.This message brought to you by the letters A-L-P-H-A-K-I-N-G and the number 6
“Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.”
-Henry David Thoreau

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
 Author| Post time 2007-11-25 11:13:00 | Show all posts
Thanks for your advice guys. As I said... I am really not too worried about my first batch failing. I messed that up pretty bad. If only I would have read FIRST!Primary -
Secondary:

PFC, BN Army

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-27 12:58:00 | Show all posts
NoRemorse-
Congrats on your first attempt at making great beer.  You have no where to go but up from here.  I am sure that all of us have horror stories about mistakes made in our first batch or even more mistakes made after 6 years of brewing.  The point is that you are on your way and you won't make those mistakes again.
Everyone has given you great advice except for the one glaring omission of sanitation.  In comment #3 of your post you said that you had the lid off of the boil kettle as you cooled your wort.  That is a red flag warning to a brewer!  You have got to keep up the sanitation and cleanliness to avoid possible infection.  Keep your lid on while you cool, even if you have to drop the kettle into a tub, sink or ice bath, keep the lid on to prevent introducing wild bacteria/yeast.  
Keep up the good work, enjoy this great hobby and consider looking into other sources of beer brewing ingredients.  A local home brew shop is best followed by one of the high quality on-line shops (I like MoreBeer.com).
Cheers,
Irish

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
 Author| Post time 2007-11-27 11:21:00 | Show all posts

Thanks for the advice and encouragement... I do have good news to report. I just sampled my second batch (Northern Brewer's Two Hearted Clone Recipe) after 1 week primary/2 weeks secondary with dry hop. It tastes freaking delicious. Like... it tastes like the Bell's Beer! I am currently sanitizing my bottles in my dishwashers heat cycle and then going to bottle it. I am excited now and hope, that in a few weeks, I will have a great beer to enjoy. It really makes me excited after a failed first batch.
Thanks again and I will let everyone know how this one finishes.Primary -
Secondary:

PFC, BN Army

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-28 07:26:00 | Show all posts
You still get props from me on your first batch!  I didn't even know my first batch was bad.  I actually really liked it.  My friend that introduced me to brewing came over to taste it, and asked me "What did you put in this."  I didn't even know what off flavors were. It tasted fine to me.  This is why badrock does not allow me to use kegs. I have definitely done a lot more reading and tastings since.  Now it's something I can laugh about.Tis' the Season to be Loving!
http://www.nikkipetramala.yourpassionconsultant.com

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
 Author| Post time 2007-11-28 08:19:00 | Show all posts

Haha. Well, you were better off than me because there was no doubt my first batch was bad.
Bottled the second one last night. Man was that a debacle. Apparently, when dry hopping as much as I did, and with pellets, you should use a bag to do it instead of just throwing them in the carboy. My auto siphon kept getting clogged up in my bottling bucket so I had to use the spigot. Eventually that got clogged up and it resulted in me spilling my last half gallon of beer all over the place. Luckily I bottled about 24 12 ounce bottles and 8 22 ounce bombers before this occurred. Hopefully I didnt fuck it up too badly.
Anyways, use bags and filter out your hops from the wort after the boil.Primary -
Secondary:

PFC, BN Army

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-28 08:19:36 | Show all posts
My first few batches were all learning experiences, as is everybody's.  The big positive is that you are finding solutions to the problems to try the next time.  Even after 10ish years, I still have brew/fermenting/bottling/kegging oops come up.  You just learn how to adjust better and quicker.
Brewing is like golfing.  Every once in a while you hit a great shot/great beer along with all the average/lousy shots/beers.  That's the motivation to keep you going, you know you can do it.-I live in my own little world.  But that's okay because they know me there.
-Even if alcohol does kill off brain cells, we all know alcohol goes for the slower, weaker ones first -- making your brain more sleek and efficient.Well, I just poured out all of the bottles of my first attempt into homebrewing. I sampled some periodically over the 5 weeks they sat in bottles... so it was about 38 bottles. It felt like such a waste, but it was a botched batch. It was a Cooper's IPA extract kit with dry yeast and some dry malt extract. The beer tasted so awful it is hard to pin-point any certain thing as to its failure. Here are some "highlights"
1-) I dont think the wort was really boiling that much throughout the brew. More like a mild simmer. This is something I regulated in my next batch.
2-) When I re-hydrated the yeast I used one of those clear plastic 3 cup measuring cups. It was cracked throughout as it has been used for all kinds of baking. Also, rather than boiling the water, I simply put it in the microwave for 1 minute. I used a slap pack for my next batch and bought a 6 cup glass pyrex measuring cup that will only be used for brewing.
3-) It took me about 2 hours to cool the wort down. I kept it uncovered in the house, outside... various places trying to cool it as I stirred it.
4-) Fermentation was done at a temperature that was WAY too high and finished in about 3 days.
5-) I boiled the priming sugar in a pan that is used for all kinds of cooking. Probably not a good idea.
There were some other things I fouled up too... but I should have read "How To Brew" and this forum before brewing, not after. After waiting 5 weeks in the bottle, I am certain the off flavors will not condition out much more. lol My next batch is almost ready to be bottled and I am confident it will taste much, much better. Also given the fact that it is a partial mash with REAL hops.Primary -
Secondary:

PFC, BN Army

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
 Author| Post time 2007-11-24 03:52:00 | Show all posts
someone I met did the IPA kit from coopers. for one we met this guy at a homebrew club meeting, second , several of us helped him through the process. Last after a few weeks the beer was no hop bomb that he was expecting but it wasnt bad at all. He's not an avid brewer but it does make a diffrence to have someone help you along.sitting in the corner

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-24 04:01:00 | Show all posts

I am sure it is all in my error.

Primary -
Secondary:

PFC, BN Army

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
 Author| Post time 2007-11-24 05:13:00 | Show all posts
If I was you I'd hold a few bottles back for shits and giggles. Time can do amazing things."I encompass, and I eclipse..."

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-24 06:06:00 | Show all posts

I have 3. 1 of them is for Brichards700 over christmas break. I am plotting to tell him it is something amazing first to throw him off.Primary -
Secondary:

PFC, BN Army

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-24 11:51:00 | Show all posts
I know Ive seen you in the fourm during the Jamil show.. for shame.
Id save a few, I have a bottle of a brown ale I did that got infected(popcorn diacetyl)  and I also have a xmas ale that I added too much ginger . I keep em to remind myself to clean and to not go overboard with spices.sitting in the corner

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-25 05:27:00 | Show all posts
Give it to Justin, he'll drink anything.  

keep on trying. The more you read and the more you brew, the better you'll get.
Do you have any clubs in your area? hooking up with a club, or a LHBS can be a great resource...maybe you can find someone in your area that you can co brew with.Stop staring at my big beautiful BOOBS!!!!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2007-11-25 08:25:00 | Show all posts
NoRemorse-
The offer's always open if you feel like brewing, I'm gonna finally be brewing next Saturday.  You are more than welcome to come by and join me if you want to.
Also, the Impaling Alers meet on the 3rd Friday of every month at Larry's in Kent.  If you haven't been there, it's straight up 167 to 212th St.  Look for the building with the big red awning on your left.   I went to their last meeting, and that's also where I took my BJCP classes (and the exam).  They are a great bunch of guys and very knowledgeable, and always willing to help.  
HTH--B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat.  It's an acquired taste....."  -- Mylo

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile|Brewer Forum

2023-4-1 18:15 GMT-8 , Processed in 0.327714 second(s), 37 queries .