View: 33|Reply: 3

Jamil Show Weissen question

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2006-6-21 10:04:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
Just listened to the wheat beer show; sorry I'm a bit behind the times.  Jamil said to use half wheat extract and half light malt extract during the show.  Isn't wheat extract already around 50% barley?  Shouldn't we use only wheat malt extract for these guys?Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors -- and miss.   
--Robert A. Heinlein: The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
Brewing Water Page - Enter and view water data.
author posts Hot post

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2006-6-21 10:53:00 | Show all posts
The last extract weizen I did, I bought wheat DME. The label stated it was 55%/45%. I guess it depends on the distributor.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2006-6-21 11:25:00 | Show all posts
I think the ratio depends on the maltster.  I've seen some recipes where people add some additonal light malt extract to bring the percentages of wheat and barley closer to 50%/50%.  This might help keep the color on the lighter side, but I'm not sure what it would do to the body or flavor.  I have also seen references to a german brand of 100% wheat liquid extract which would allow you to really dial in on the percentages.  However, it seems this brand is no longer exported to the U.S.  I recenty brewed a hefe with M&F wheat DME and it was not a 50/50 blend(I think the label said 60% wheat / 40% barley).  I'm pretty sure that Alexander's is 50/50.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2006-6-22 09:29:00 | Show all posts

Yes, you are 100% right and I spoke in error. I knew that the wheat extracts are not 100% wheat, I just didn't quite connect it to what I was saying at the time. It was Justin's fault, of course.

pm0mog1l0a0.gif

pm0mog1l0a0.gif

Most wheat extracts are fine and you can just use them as is for the style.I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.
Jamil Zainasheff

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile|Brewer Forum

2023-3-23 18:23 GMT-8 , Processed in 0.278249 second(s), 37 queries .