I'm planning to build a stainless still

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-9-9 20:13:55 | Show all posts |Read mode
About:
Just getting into this as a hobby for me, my buddy that's owned stills before may want to do more with it eventually.  We know some people that ran then sold a distillation business, no current plans there though.  Looking to learn more about distilling and the best way to get some practice in.  I've done wine and mead in 5gal demijohns before but that's about all I've done with making alcohol in the past.

Goals:
I want to build a still that's efficient time and money wise, about 13 gallons in capacity, electric, and can be easily used/converted for both stripping and getting to ~190.

A little about what still you currently have, or what you are wanting to make/buy:
No current still.  My buddy that I'll be doing this with has had stills before and made/modified a couple from copper years ago.  He knows more than I do about it but it was mostly just doing hobby grade stuff as well.
I was going to buy some crap, but was shown enough quick enough to want to avoid some of that.

Now I'm thinking (open to suggestions) I'd like to make one mostly out of stainless tube w/ ferrule ends and clamps:
A 3” packed column about 3-4ft, copper reflux coil w/ copper scrubber packing, condenser w/ copper coil in stainless tube packed w copper scrubbers, temp gauges+ports. A 13-15 gal pot w/ electric heat element in side bulkheads and 3” ferrule ez bulkhead in lid. And get a shorter 3" column to run it as pot still.  ~5500 watt element.

Any other additional information you find helpful.
Probably do this in the garage, got extra space for it there and ceilings are extra high.  Sub panel there also makes it easy to do 240v.
Don't want to waste too much money or time.  Would be nice if total expenses to start with a DIY still was in the $600-800 range, $1000max.

Where you are at. You don't have to list exact location, but simply Central US, or Europe, or AU, would be more than enough. Just enough so that folks have an idea on what part of the globe you hail from.
North America
author posts Hot post

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-9-9 20:38:52 | Show all posts
Welcome! I look forward to seeing your build as it comes along. Feel free to post a build thread in the Column Builds section and you'll get plenty of input.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-9-9 20:42:35 | Show all posts
Happy to be here, looks like lots of knowledgeable people on the forum and I'm just getting started reading!  Thanks for sending me to the next step!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile|Brewer Forum

2023-3-26 19:32 GMT-8 , Processed in 0.252810 second(s), 34 queries .