View: 330|Reply: 7

Whiskey yeasts

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-9-23 19:59:50 | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm looking for some help finding places to get quality whiskey yeasts in the US. I've made a few batches so far with a blend of DADY and Angel which have produced pretty good results but I know there are some excellent true whiskey yeasts out there. I'm curious - has anybody tried them against DADY or Angel?
My last batch was Honey Bear Bourbon and it turned out really well. It was the 5th batch I've made in this new hobby. I've been very surprised that it actually helps the flavor profile if you let the jars breathe and that the flavors change over time, even when it's not oaked. With hard liqueurs, I thought what came out of the still would be the same on day one as day 300.
author posts Hot post

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-9-23 21:42:03 | Show all posts
The best whiskey I made came from a combo of dady and angel yeast but that was largely due to making better cuts but I have had used angel am 1 yeast it came out good I got to greedy with the tails I am hoping at year 2 it will mellow out.
What recipe are you going to make?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-9-23 21:59:25 | Show all posts
Bakers yeast works great and for a fast ferment

hor0bzeyxya.gif

hor0bzeyxya.gif

I resisted bakers yeast for a long time because I come from a wine making background and use a variety of different yeasts for wines... I've used various beer yeasts for AG whiskies as well and bakers is my go to now unless i'm feeling like doing it different which also happens on occasion

Cheers,
jonny————
i make stuff i break stuff
water into whiskey into water
just getting started in home distilling - been drinking for decades
16g copper pot still, 10l alembic, and a column or two
————

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-9-24 00:00:21 | Show all posts
It depends on what I'm after, but my go-to is almost always US-05. I've used T-58 once to push spice on a high rye bourbon. But it's still too early to tell if I succeeded.
I'll use bakers if I have to ferment in warmer weather, and the garage is getting warm, but I do all my stillin from fall to spring.
I prefer cooler ferment temps and try to avoid stressing the yeast.Use all your senses, and its not that hard. You just have to pay attention.
Procrastinate, you'll make better whiskey.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-9-24 04:40:20 | Show all posts
+1
Long, cool, clean ferments rock.“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”
- W.C. Fields
My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-9-24 05:47:11 | Show all posts
I've had great results with s-04 and Nottingham even in a tropical climate.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-9-24 14:56:14 | Show all posts
I don't much care for yellow label, it gives a strange flavor I am not that fond of. There are other options for enzymes. I use S04 a lot, I prefer it to DADY, and generally reuse cakes for many generations, I do keep DADY in the fridge as a backup but it's never hot enough where I ferment to really kick it off hard, it is forgiving though and works fine even in winter.
I am transitioning to wlp099 now, its sta-1 positive, attenuates well and can handle high alcohol so brandies aren't a problem, it's fast and matches my temps well. If I was in a hotter climate I would be inclined to mess with Belgian/farmhouse strains. I love it in high gravity beers, I am hoping some of the notes carry over.
There are tons of yeasts out there, pick one that matches the region you want to emulate and learn it. One yeast can produce a wide range of things depending on how you treat it, the temps, nutrients, what infections you let go and how long the ferment runs.
When you are testing yeasts its worth it to nose and taste the beer before distillation, I think this is something a lot of distillers skip or are afraid of. There is a lot of information available before you even fire up the still.:)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-9-24 17:23:40 | Show all posts
Hmmm.  I don't find any off flavors using YLAY, but everyone's palate is different I guess...  I'm lazy, so it's my go-to yeast to avoid mashing in.  
I wonder if you could co-pitch YLAY & your preferred yeast?
I've been messing around with extract beer kits and "funky" yeasts like Lallemand Kveik Ale & German Wheat Style Ale.  Summer Wheat, Blue Moon clone, & most recently Backyard Pilsner.  Next up is a Franziskaner clone.
Kveik is very aggressive & can tolerate higher fermentation temps.  It's known for its esters, so now I'm off to search "kveik + homedistiller" rabbit hole...There are two times of year:  FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile|Brewer Forum

2023-3-23 18:03 GMT-8 , Processed in 0.276081 second(s), 37 queries .