Lagered a little too long

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-11-21 07:47:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello everyone,
I am looking for a little advice, I have brewed a lager, which I started the lagering  process, taking the temp down to 2.5 C. I intended to bottle it after a few weeks but work commitments got in the way and it has now been stored at that temp for about 3 months. I am guessing that the yeast left in the brew will not be healthy enough to condition in the bottles. I am thinking I could siphon it off into a new barrel, adding sugar and then pitch some more yeast (once temp raised back up to room temp) then bottling the following day.
so the question is, does this sound like a good approach or would there be a better method. Also any tips or advice would be appreciated.
thank you in advance.
Phil
author posts Hot post

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-11-21 07:47:00 | Show all posts
3 months probably not going to carbonate. BUT you hear of people culturing from bottles so what do I know? But yeah adding yeast to your bottling bucket may work? Or dose each bottle?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-11-21 08:20:00 | Show all posts
Man it would suck to ruin that kinda patience. Pity you can't bottle straight off the Fermenter.
O2 pickup would be my biggest concern.
I don't bottle so what I've said is irrelevant I just hope your beer turns out for you.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-11-21 11:18:00 | Show all posts
Re-yeasting would be a good idea. Bring the fermenter to about room temp first (you don't want your bottling yeast going dormant), then rack to the barrel you mentioned or bottling bucket, whatever. If this is a standard 5 gal (19L) batch, you'll only need about 1/4 - 1/3 pack of any neutral dry yeast. In fact, a $1 packet of wine or champagne yeast works fine, as that won't attenuate the beer any farther--it'll only eat the sugar you add for carbing. Just sprinkle it in during racking, maybe give it a very gentle stir. Then bottle away.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-11-22 12:04:00 | Show all posts
Thanks for the replies, I hadn’t heard about people culturing from bottles so that’s something new to look into.
it’s a good point about the quantity of yeast quantity. I am in the UK so 5 gallons here is just over 22 litres I believe. Another thought along that line of thought…. Adding yeast to a beer that already has an alcohol content, is that likely to reduce the yeasts effectiveness and therefore mean extra is needed or maybe even do a starter?
or am I over thinking this?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-11-22 12:06:00 | Show all posts
You're overthinking it, unless you have a 12% beer or something like that.   A tiny bit of champagne yeast (it's really cheap, and neutral) would be fine.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile|Brewer Forum

2023-4-1 19:16 GMT-8 , Processed in 0.308427 second(s), 30 queries .