View: 31|Reply: 2

Partial Mash 3 gallon Igloo Cooler Mesh Bag

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-12-18 18:14:41 | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm just getting into partial mash brewing and bought a 3 gallon Igloo round cooler. I want to get a mesh bag to fit inside it to make draining the grains easy. I was wondering if anyone else had one and what size of mesh bag you used. I was thinking about getting one on Amazon that is 22"x26" and 250 microns.
author posts Hot post

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-12-18 21:47:05 | Show all posts
My experience with partial mash is limited since I started with all grain but I’ve done a few both teaching beginners and doing demos at my LHBS brew days.
I’ve never used a cooler mash tun since that would be an all grain mash.
For partial mash you use a boil kettle to first bring your water to a given temperature based on your recipe with your specialty grains suspended in a small mesh bag and then remove them and mix in your DME or LME and bring to a boil for as long as the recipe requires.
Then chill, pitch your yeast, etc.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-12-18 22:28:48 | Show all posts
Do you have the inside dimensions of that cooler? It's important the bag touches the sides all around. A little looseness is wanted, but not too baggy, as that could make stirring more difficult, the bag's excess wanting to wrap around the paddle or long stirring spoon.
A flattened bag that's 22" wide makes her circumference (C) 44".
C = 2 * 3.14 * r
Diameter (2r) = C / 3.14 = 44" / 3.14 = 14"
250 micron = 0.25 (=1/4) mm or around 0.01 inch.
That's the diameter of the pores, yes?
I'd say pore wise that should work. But I don't know how it compares with the pores in standard BIAB bags, such as those made by @wilserbrewer. If the pores are too tight they may plug up, not helping getting the wort out.
Maybe someone could chime in on that.
A preheated cooler should work well, yes. If outside in cold or breezy weather maybe wrap the cooler in a thick moving blanket or sleeping bag. It's quite difficult to heat up a mash that's too cold without adding direct or indirect heat.
I've done much partial mash in the beginning of my homebrew career, using a large, 2 gallon kitchen pot in a prewarmed oven. Then switched to all-grain.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile|Brewer Forum

2023-3-26 14:26 GMT-8 , Processed in 0.257654 second(s), 34 queries .