View: 68|Reply: 5

Reading some posts got me wondering

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-12-23 10:10:02 | Show all posts |Read mode
I see a lot of folks using products to make the beer clearer. I am more wondering, does this change the taste any? I have not used any of these products and keg and drink my beers how they come out. I try and limit the amount of trub and hop matter by using bags but I am sure some still gets thru. I have a floating dip tube on my keg, so I am sure that helps as well. But in reading a few posts, it seems some use products to clear the beer even more. Is this more a personal preference? Still new to the beer world and thought I would ask. If this is a question that is out of line or not pertinent please feel free to close it. Also, if it needs to be moved to another subforum, please do so. I was not sure where it would best fit.
Anyway, any input would be appreciated as this might be something to add to my list of things I should do.
Thanks to all who read and replied. RR
author posts Hot post

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-12-23 10:37:03 | Show all posts
The flavor of most beers is negatively affected by suspended particles. The particles are yeast, protiens/lipids from the malt, and hop residue. So yes, for most beers it helps to remove them. Exceptions are hazy IPAs, german hefeweizen, maybe others that are not coming to mind.
There are many different "finings" that are used to clear the beer after fermentation. Most common are irish moss (aka whirlfloc) added during the boil, and gelatin added post-fermentation. I do both of these. Gelatin works best (quickest) in combination with a "cold crash", in which the temperature is dropped to 30F-40F.
Given enough time, it will settle to the bottom of the fermentor or keg or bottle without any finings added. But we homebrewers are impatient!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-12-23 10:52:57 | Show all posts
Finings are used for two reasons: when you want to speed up the clearing process, and when you're aiming for crystal-clear beer. The latter is at least 95% aesthetic -- while there's a taste difference between clear beer and green beer that hasn't conditioned at all and has a ton of stuff in suspension, I really doubt there's a difference between brilliant beer and the still-slightly-hazy beer you can get after a couple of weeks cold. This is not to say aesthetics aren't important; you have to look at your beer as well as drink it.
If you use isinglass or gelatin, some vegetarians will not drink your beer. I'm trying Biofine Clear (colloidal silica) for the first time today, and maybe it'll do something, but I'm not too hopeful.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-12-23 10:53:13 | Show all posts
I use Whirlfloc in most of my beers, and unflavored gelatin in some. As far as I can tell neither affect the flavor whatsoever.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-12-23 11:53:34 | Show all posts
Yes, it changes the taste.... maybe better, maybe not....
I've tried the filter thing ( basically what this fellow did:  ) and it worked out great but it did change the taste. If your palate is aware enough to pick out differences, any fining technique will change the taste. Going by the posts I've seen you make and comment on (I read this site 24/7 while conscious being disabled and unemployable, but wanting to be productive  ) I'm assuming you've tried out leaving all the kettle trub in as well as removing what you can. Only You can decide what is right for you... it's all just 'different' after all and definitely not 'better' or 'worse' (unless trying to appeal to judges in competition). You can try all the finings techniques this site describes, though personally I think a filter is the ultimate 'fining', that is only my opinion and there is a cost involved in buying a filter and its housing and hardware. [I have no regrets for my purchases as there are specific brews for which I intend to use it again, even if rarely and it is on stand-by in my 'brewing-stuff' pantry.]
You seem like a kindred soul in this respect: Try it all and keep what works for you.

fwttsvsaldp.gif

fwttsvsaldp.gif

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Vip1

Credits
Post time 2022-12-26 18:25:14 | Show all posts
I use Irish Moss, and I haven't noticed any changes to me or my beer.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archiver|Mobile|Brewer Forum

2023-4-1 19:35 GMT-8 , Processed in 0.297085 second(s), 37 queries .